- Video Gallery
- I am Blessed
You are here
What We Offer
The Lector serves the liturgical assembly by proclaiming Sacred Scripture during the Liturgy of the Word. The competent exercise of this role enables the Church to hear the Word of God more clearly and receive it more readily.
- Prepares for her/his role by rehearsing, praying over and coming to understand the biblical text assigned her/him for a particular liturgical celebration.
- Participates fully in the Liturgy as an exemplary member of the assembly.
- Proclaims the biblical text with clarity, conviction, dignity and understanding.
- Expresses reverence and decorum in carrying out this and other aspects of her/his role according to the general liturgical norms (procession, handling of the Lectionary, etc.).
- Is faithful to the schedule of assignments and helpful in assuring that all the parish community’s liturgical assemblies are adequately served with this ministry.
- Participates in rehearsals of ceremonial procedures in the parish community.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Is a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church who has been duly prepared and appropriately commissioned for this role.
- Must be a confirmed, practicing Catholic.
- Must have sufficient skills and maturity to serve the liturgical assembly as outlined here.
- Is devoted to and understands the importance of the liturgical celebrations of the Church community.
- Has the natural and spiritual ability to speak the biblical Word intelligibly and comfortably in the midst of the assembly.
- Has an understanding of the structure of the Lectionary for Liturgy.
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Desires to serve the community and to commit time and talents to this ministry.
- Possesses a love for the Bible and an aptitude to share this Word with others as well as a willingness to grow in understanding the scriptures through study, prayer and reflections.
- Committed to prayer, gospel values and growth in personal holiness.
- Has enthusiasm, a positive attitude and good public speaking skills.
- Has a spirit of generosity.
- Is open to vocal coaching as required (use of microphone, volume, pacing, posture, etc.).
Orientation and Training
- Standard parish orientation program and has participated in a training process on reflecting on the theology of the Liturgy of the Word as found in the Lectionary.
- This is a Low risk position.
- Completion of a Volunteer Information Form is required.
- Signing of the Model Code of Conduct is required.
- Training and orientation are required.
- There will be supervision and periodic evaluations.
This ministry position description accurately reflects the Ministry of Lector currently practiced at St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish, Diocese of Calgary.