- 2019 Holy Week Schedule
- Video Gallery
You are here
What We Offer
Altar Server – Child/Youth
The Altar Server assists the members of the liturgical assembly by presenting or arranging vessels and other items used in the celebrations. Their reverent and efficient service enable other ministers to attend to their own roles while the liturgical actions unfold with calm, order and appropriate decorum. As members of the assembly who are often visible to all, the Altar Servers also model good liturgical participation.
- Assists with the preparation of the sanctuary and sacred vessels before the Liturgy and their proper care afterward.
- Uses and cares for various items used in the Liturgy (cross, candles, incense, Roman Missal, etc.)
- Prepares altar or assists in doing so before the presentation of the gifts.
- Assists with books and other altar accessories as needed.
- Responds to special circumstances that may arise during the Liturgy.
- Performs special tasks with dignity and otherwise participates fully as an exemplary Member of the assembly.
- Exhibits responsibility by serving when scheduled and taking part in rehearsals.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Is a baptized member of the Catholic Church and is already a participant in the Eucharistic Communion.
- Has the necessary skills and sufficient maturity to serve the liturgical assembly as outlined here.
- Has learned to participate fully as a member of the liturgical assembly.
- Has participated in a training process that includes appropriate knowledge of furnishings, vestments, etc.
- Has participated in a training process that prepares the server for the ceremonial procedures of the community.
- Must have already received First Communion.
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Desires to serve the community and to commit time and talents to this ministry.
- Welcomes opportunities to keep growing in understanding and appreciation of the Liturgical Rites.
- Has a spirit of generosity.
- Sufficient maturity to focus on the Liturgy and exercise her/his ministry with proper behavior and attention.
- This is a Low risk position, unless 18 years old or older, when it becomes a High risk position.
- Completion of a Volunteer Information Form is required (which includes parent and/or guardian consent)
- Training and orientation are required.
- There will be supervision and periodic evaluations.
This ministry position description accurately reflects the Ministry of Altar Server currently practiced at St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish, Diocese of Calgary.