The Sacrament of Baptism is the first of the three Sacraments of Initiation of the Catholic Church. The Rite is rich with symbols and actions: water, holy oils, a candle, a white garment. Each of these serves as a reminder to us that Baptism is the beginning of a lifelong journey of faith. “God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has freed you from sin, given you a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and welcomed you into his holy people. He now anoints you with the chrism of salvation. As Christ was anointed Priest, Prophet, and King, so may you live always as members of his body, sharing everlasting life.” (Rite of Baptism for Children #62)
Parents, who live inside St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish boundaries or are registered and active members of our parish, are welcome to register for a Baptism. Request for Baptism forms are available in the parish office or in the Cathedral at the information tables. Once you have filled out the form, you may leave it in one of the designated envelopes. You will be contacted within a few days of receipt of the form. As a general rule, Baptisms are held at St. Mary’s Cathedral on the first Saturday and third Sunday of the month.
Parents who are not registered members of our Parish and live outside of St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish boundaries are encouraged by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary to register for all the sacraments at their own parish church. It is always preferred that your child prepare for and celebrate the sacraments with your own parish community. Please note – if you live outside of the parish boundaries, but still would like to have your child Baptized at the Cathedral, you must first obtain a letter of Permission to Baptize Outside of Parish from your parish priest. Once you have that letter, you are welcome to complete a Request for Baptism here at St. Mary’s Cathedral. Please attach the letter to the Request form and return to the Parish Office.
In all cases, prior to scheduling a baptism, the following is required to be submitted to the Parish Office:
- A completed Request for Infant Baptism form. Form is available at the entrance of the Cathedral or in the Parish Office.
- Completion of a Baptism Preparation class either here at St. Mary's Cathedral or at another Parish in the Diocese. If attending a Baptism Preparation class at another Parish, you will need to obtain a letter confirming attendance.
- a copy of the child's Birth Certificate.
- a copy of one of the parent's Roman Catholic Baptism Certificate.
- In addition, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary requires that for one or both Roman Catholic Godparent/s, you must submit a copy of his/her Confirmation certificate or an annotated Baptism Certificate with Confirmation date indicated.
For families who are interested in learning more about having their school-aged child baptized, please contact Allison at 403-228-4170 x228
For individuals who are 18 years of age or older and are interested in being baptized, please refer to the RCIA section of our web site.
First time parents are required to attend a Baptism Preparation class. This must be done one month prior to requesting a Baptism.
Next class: Saturday, January 4, 2020. Parents must register to attend. Registration form is available below.
Remaining 2020 Classes: March 7, May 2, July 4, September 5 and October 17
For more information, please contact Allison, Sacrament Coordinator, email@example.com or 403-228-4170 (ext. 228).
Baptism Preparation Registration Form